As a parent and/or guardian with a student that attends Anderson Public School you have the right to request information regarding the professional qualifications of the student's classroom teachers and paraprofessionals. To request this information please submit a request in writing to the main office.
Anderson Parent and Family Engagement Policy
Parent and Family Engagement policy
McKinney-Vento District Plan
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act ensures educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness. It is the intent of Anderson School District to provide all eligible students under this provision the equal opportunity to access educational services. Strict confidentiality procedures are followed and include a restricted access designation in the Student Information System. The indicator is placed in the enrollment record which may only be accessed by designated district personnel at the direction of the Homeless Liaison.
For the purposes of this regulation an eligible student is one who meets at least one of the following criteria:
- The family lacks a fixed, regular and adequate nighttime residence
- Shares the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reason(s)
- Lives in a motel, hotel, trailer park, or on camping grounds due to lack of other housing
- Lives in an emergency or transitional shelter
- Has a primary nighttime residence that is not a place for regular sleeping arrangements
- Lives in a car, park, public place abandoned building, or in substandard housing
If the student’s best interest supports enrollment in the school of origin, the district will ensure that transportation is provided, as follows:
- if the student continues to live in the area served by the district in which the school of origin is located, the district must provide or arrange for transportation to or from the school of origin.
- if the student continues his/her education in the school of origin but begins living in an area served by another district, the district of origin and the district in which the student is living must agree how to apportion responsibility and costs for providing transportation to and from the school of origin.
- if the districts can’t agree upon a method, responsibility and costs for transportation are shared equally.
All questions concerning student eligibility will be referred to the District Homeless Liaison.
Foster Care Plan
The Anderson School District is committed to provide all students with sound educational experiences. We recognize that foster children are at an increased risk of grade retention, gaps in academic achievement, low high school graduation rates, and postsecondary enrollment. These provisions promote greater stability for children in foster care so that they can continue their education without disruption, maintain important relationships with peers and adults, and have the opportunity to achieve college - and career readiness.
The educational stability includes assurances that (1) a child in foster care will remain in the child’s school of origin, unless a determination is made that it is not in the child’s best interest in that school and (2) if a determination is made that it is not in the child’s best interest to remain in the school of origin, the child will be immediately enrolled in the school of residence, even if the child is unable to produce records normally required for enrollment.
School District Assurances
- Each placement of the child in foster care takes into account the appropriateness of the current educational setting and the proximity to the school in which the child is enrolled at the time of placement.
- The state child welfare agency will coordinate with appropriate local educational agencies to ensure that the child remains in the school in which the child is enrolled at the time of placement.
- If it is not in the best interest of the child to return to the resident school, the child will immediately be provided the appropriate enrollment to the Anderson School District.
- Anderson School District will gather and maintain educational records and promptly send them to any district where the student moves.